Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) TikTok Instagram YouTube Spotify
    UOWTV
    • Home
    • Media
    • News
      • Arts & Culture
      • Govt & Politics
      • Sport
      • Tech & Research
    • Features
    • Podcasts
      • A Day In The Life Of…
      • Between the Mountains and the Sea
      • Beyond The Bubble
      • Early Start Expert Insight
      • Miks and Mads
      • The Buzz
      • What Can We Say Again?
    • RadioU
    • Alumni Stories
    • About
    • Contact
    UOWTV
    Home»News»Govt & Politics»Wollongong Homeless Hub prepares for ‘wave’ of rough sleepers when eviction ban is lifted
    Govt & Politics

    Wollongong Homeless Hub prepares for ‘wave’ of rough sleepers when eviction ban is lifted

    River MccrossenBy River MccrossenMay 12, 2020Updated:May 12, 2020No Comments2 Mins Read

    The Wollongong Homeless Hub is bracing for an uptick in rough sleepers when a six-month moratorium on residential evictions ends.

    The NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian announced last month that tenants financially impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic could not be evicted due to unpaid rent. 

    Wollongong Homeless Hub manager Mandy Booker said the compounding rent debt at the end of the six-month period could lead to a spike in homelessness.

    “(People may be) putting debt off, or think that they’ll be going back to work in the next six months, and that’s actually going to create a whole new wave of people that come into disadvantage,” she said.

    “We’re actually already pre-planning for that second wave to happen.

    “The state government has done an amazing job at reacting very quickly at providing crisis accommodation for people that were sleeping rough.

    “What we need to see is continuation of that so that we don’t exit people back into homelessness, that we actually provide the right exit pathways.”

     

    The IRT Foundation counted 60 people sleeping rough in Wollongong CBD and surrounding areas in February last year. Another 600 were counted in temporary shelters and homeless hostels.

    Wollongong City Council released an options paper into its housing strategy for public consultation on Friday.

    Wollongong councillor Tania Brown urged residents to have their say on the paper.

    “With regards to homelessness, that’s largely a responsibility of the NSW Government through family and community services,” Cr Brown said.

    “But all levels of government have a role in addressing homelessness and we work with organisations like the Homeless Hub on social outreach.”

    Follow on Facebook Follow on Instagram Follow on TikTok
    Share. Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Threads Bluesky Email Copy Link
    River Mccrossen

    Related Posts

    Wings For Life fun run charity event has a moving finishing line

    May 13, 2026

    People-centred uni research sees upswing post-COVID

    May 13, 2026

    Whale watching season opens along the Illawarra coast this weekend

    May 13, 2026
    OUR NETWORK
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • TikTok
    • Spotify
    LATEST NEWS

    Wings For Life fun run charity event has a moving finishing line

    May 13, 2026

    People-centred uni research sees upswing post-COVID

    May 13, 2026

    Whale watching season opens along the Illawarra coast this weekend

    May 13, 2026

    The 2026 Budget Plan restricts investment to help young people buy their first homes

    May 13, 2026

    Budget promises housing relief, but Illawarra renters need relief now

    May 13, 2026

    Inside the story: how foster care is reshaping what journalists see as ‘human interest’

    May 13, 2026
    TikTok Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube Spotify
    © 2026 UOWTV.com

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.