Emergency services treated three students for chemical burns this morning after a lab spill on campus.

The University of Wollongong said one male and two female students were exposed to an acid during a routine class experiment in the Bld 43 Science Teaching Facility.

A UOW spokesman said the students were wearing personal protective equipment (PPE).

“Emergency services were called and the affected students were treated on-site before being transported to Wollongong hospital for further medical care,”┬áthe spokesman said.

“UOW is currently investigating the incident and will report it to SafeWork NSW.

“The University is committed to the safety and welfare of students. Student services staff are in contact with the affected students and their families to offer support and assistance.”