Oh, so you’re going to Yours & Owls this weekend? Do you have everything ready?? I’m sorry to say that you’re probably not like me. You probably don’t already have a 3-page excel spreadsheet planned for your Yours & Owls festy experience.
Lucky for you, I like to share.
WHAT TO BRING
- Your ticket & some ID (literally if you don’t bring anything else you will need these)
- Its Cardless (kind of….) so if you bought your ticket on Moshtix you can add money to your wristband already! But if not, you’ll need to load money onto your cardless wristband using card or cash…. Yeah I know, I don’t really get it either…
- Cash! Some places there do take your cardless wristband but it’s a bazillion times easier to just go to the ATM on Friday (avoid the last-minute frenzy) if you want stuff from those places that don’t take your cardless wristband thingy majig
- Fully charged phone
- Powerbank!!! Go pick one up super cheap from the reject shop or something because your phone will die and your friends will hate you
- A Printed Map! print it! trust me!
- Empty water bottle! Yours & Owls are letting you byo a water bottle to let you fill it up at their stations. I’m going to go find one that can clip to somewhere on my body so I never lose it and I stay hydrated AF
- Sunscreen! SLIP SLOP SLAP! Melanomas are still one of the largest killers of people our age so just like slap a bit on for me please.
- Shoes (duh)
- A jacket/jumper/roll of foil/something to keep warm. Once that sun goes down (at 5:58pm – I looked it up) it can get chilly! If you’re not moshing for the next 6 hours straight then you will need a jumper. I know, I know – ‘but mum I’ll be fine’. Just don’t come running to me when you’re cold and sad.
- Frends ❤ if u don’t have any come make frends with ur friendly Earworms Sarah & Lil 😊
- Go-pros/other professional video cameras ☹ sad but The Earworm will be there shooting the vids for you! Just enjoy the good times and we’ll provide you with those ever-lasting memories in the form of an mp4
- Illicit Drugs (duh) – UOWTV & The Earworm do not approve of illicit drug taking and advise all patrons to not bring drugs into the festival or take drugs. If you choose to disobey this advice, please be safe, stay hydrated and seek medical attention if you start to feel ill or unsafe. Ambo’s are there to help you, not hurt you or get you in trouble. There will be sniffer dogs randomly roaming the entrance to Yours & Owls.
Security – There’s going to be security, police & sniffer pups at the entrance + the usual bag search. Don’t be a silly bugger & co-operate with these people.
Accessibility – For patrons with accessibility requirements including those using a wheelchair – you’ll have a reserved drop-off/pick-up zone, accessible viewing area for two of the stages, your own entrance lane and toilets. And, if your mate/family/friend has a NSW companion card they can come with you in all those areas!
Cloakroom – $5/bag/item – pitch in with your mates and chuck your jackets in a backpack for later on!
HELP SARAH – WHAT SHOULD I SEE/DO AT THE FESTIVAL?!
Lucky for you, I’ve already got this sorted. While obviously, the music is the main event – don’t forget about the other amazing things on display from Air Guitar competitions to Slam Poetry!
SATURDAY MUST SEE:
Welcome to Country – 12:45pm-1:15pm
Head down to the main stage (Jung Stage) and pay your respects in the Yours & Owls Welcome to Country.
Nyxen – 1:15pm-1:45pm
We threw the spotlight on Nyxen last week and we will not be missing her set for the world! She’s on the main stage and while her name might not be familiar to your, her tracks sure as hell will be!
They’ve been around the globe and they don’t appear to be slowing down any time soon. If you haven’t seen them yet – do it!!! If you don’t you’ll look back in 20 years and be like “shit”. Fun Fact: I once was a waitress at a hotel/bar Middle Kids were playing at and delivered them their schnittys & pies to the green room. True story.
Go sing your hearts out to “entitled generation” because I sure as hell will be. “I’m 25 and still not living out of home, got two degrees and I’m stuck working on the phone oh damn our entitled generation.”
Ocean Alley – 7:00pm-7:45pm
These guys jumped to stardom quickly and it’s by no way other than their extreme talent. If you’ve seen clips of them you’ll know that they’re a musical wonder and the amount of instruments on that stage will baffle you. These guys sound good, but boy, they look even better.
Need I say more? (no it won’t actually be Ru Paul)
Press Club – 8:40pm-9:20pm
Another amazing band fronted by an amazing woman with an amazing stage presence. Their cover of ‘When you were young’ by the Killers rocked my mismatched socks off and they’re sure to put on a show that you won’t want to miss.
Peking Duk – 9:45pm-11:00pm
Oh you’ve seen Peking Duk before? I don’t care. See them again. They have literal F I R E W O R K S coming out of their guitars. FIREWORKS FROM THEIR GUITARS.
SUNDAY MUST SEE:
The Zilzies – 1:00pm-1:20pm
They’re Gong locals and they’ve got a new bassist who’s ready to embrace that midday sunlight. Don’t miss it.
Didirri – 1:15pm-1:45pm
Let’s say you’re a bit hungover, maybe you partied too hard on Saturday? Didirri is just the person you need to clutch a big bottle of water, sit on the grass and sway to his soulful rhythm.
Jack River – 3:15pm-4:00pm
Jack River has a had one hell of a year, and for a lot of people, this is the first time you’ll see her live! It’s a chance you can’t miss. Every song she pumps out has been pure gold and I’ve seen her stage outifts from previous events and man I’m ready.
Alex The Astronaut – 3:45pm-4:30pm
She’s so sweet!!!! And so good!!! I don’t really know what else to say because she’s just so sweet and so good!
Hockey Dad – 5:45pm-6:30pm
Local boyzzz Hockey Dad are tearing up the main stage in their hometown. It’ll be lit. Trust me.
I’ve been a bit of a cub sport fangirl for a few years now and two of the members of Cub Sport just got married and that stage is just FULL OF LOVE ❤ A shirtless, tatted, bleach blonde Tim will grace the stage with his magical melodies and you will not be able to look away.
See you there. Sorry in advance for your loss.
Angus & Julia Stone – 8:15pm-9:15pm
They’re out of hiding and honestly when will you get to see them again?!?!
And my Monday advice? Call in sick. Put a 2L bottle of water in the fridge. Have a Berocca (or two). Sleep. Stretch. Get Chickos. Sleep a bit more. Post all your photos on Insta. Put a bow on it. Pack it all away for next year.
Xx Sarah @ The Earworm